I am a fan of the TV show Jeopardy, although I don’t see it as often as I used to. One of the categories that has stood the test of time is “Quotable Quotes.” It’s probably right up there with “Potent Potables.”
Whenever I come across a meaningful quote that speaks to me in my spiritual journey I write it down in my journal or put it in the Notes app on my phone. Allow me to share some of these quotes with you and I trust they will be an encouragement to you.
- Holiness is not the privilege of the few: it is the simply duty of each of us. — St. Teresa of Calcutta
- He who has himself as spiritual director has an idiot for a disciple. — St. John of the Cross
- Commitment is doing what you said you would do, after the feeling you said it in has passed. — St. Camillus
- Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them, every day begin the task anew. — St. Francis de Sales
- Cast yourself into the arms of God and be very sure that if He wants anything of you, He will fit you for the work and give you strength. — St. Philip Neri
- For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy. — St. Therese of Lisieux
- Friendship is the source of the greatest pleasures, and without friends even the most agreeable pursuits become tedious. — St. Thomas Aquinas
- Eternal God, eternal Trinity, you have made the blood of Christ so precious through his sharing in your divine nature. You are a mystery as deep as the sea; the more I search, the more I find, and the more I find the more I search for you. — St. Catherine of Siena
- While the world changes, the cross stands firm. — St. Bruno
- Our task is not one of producing persuasive propaganda; Christianity shows its greatness when it is hated by the world. — St. Ignatius of Antioch
- All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle. — St. Francis of Assisi
- Let us never forget that if we wish to die like the saints we must live like them. — St. Théodore Guérin
- All the way to heaven is heaven, because Jesus said, ‘I am the way’. — St. Catherine of Siena
It’s hard to stop, but I must. Another reason why I love the Catholic Church and her saints!